The refurbished mid-floor of the University of Dundee’s Library & Learning Centre opened for business on Monday 25th September.
There a lots of features in the new mid-floor based on suggestions from University staff and students:
- open and airy access to books,
- student bookable rooms and resources,
- iPads for booking and resource discovery,
- easy to use and reliable IT and AV facilities,
- state-of-the art communication and connection facilities,
- provision of boiling and chilled water,
- flexible room layout and function,
- an effective learning commons,
- private, quiet and relaxation spaces,
- a studio enabling the ON AIR recording of creative work,
- specialist post-graduate space and enriched environment with kitchen facilities,
- shared staff and student areas and
- a general appropriate ambience for University study and research
The group rooms have web cameras and microphones for Skype and web-conferencing, built in student desktop PC, wireless keyboard and mouse, with projection to the screen. As well as retractable HDMI and VGA cables laptops, iPads and phones.
A nice feature is accessed by pressing the wireless button, then using “Kramer Via” wireless technology on your own device. Search for “Via” on the iTunes app store or Android store. Install that, then connect to the IP address on the screen, and you can broadcast your videos (etc) to the room. It will work with laptops too.
There is also a dedicated skype/mobile area, so students no longer have to site in the stairwells to make calls!